My wife’s step mom makes this salmon when we visit over winter break each year. It’s become one of those dishes I look forward to each year. The creamy spinach is so rich and flavourful; combined with the salmon that is roasted perfectly with a hint of lemon and butter, it’s really an awesome dish.
I usually find myself battling my sister-in-law Rachel the rest of the week for the left-overs. So, so good…
Roasted Salmon with Creamy Curried Spinach
Adapted from Food & Wine
4 x 10 ounce packages frozen leaf spinach, thawed
2 tablespoons vegetable oil
1 large Spanish onion, chopped
3 garlic cloves, minced
2 1/2 tablespoons curry powder
2 cups heavy cream
1 cup chicken stock
2 tablespoons Jagermeister
4 teaspoons fresh lemon juice
Salt and pepper, to taste
2 boneless sides of salmon, skinned (4 1/2 to 5 pounds total)
2 tablespoons melted unsalted butter
1 large lemon, thinly sliced
- Coarsely chop the thawed spinach. Heat the oil in a large skillet over Medium-Low heat, add the onions and cook, stirring occasionally, until softened, about 10 minutes. Add the garlic and curry powder, and cook, stirring, about 5 minutes.
- Preheat the oven to 500 degrees F. Stir the spinch into the skillet along with the cream, stock and Jagermeister, and simmer over low heat for 10 minutes. Add 2 teaspoons of lemon juice and season with salt and pepper.
- Grease 2 large baking dishes with non-stick cooking spray. Divide the creamed spinach between them. Place one salmon fillet in each baking dish, skin side down, on top of the spinach. Tuck the thin tail end underneath the salmon if space is tight. Rub each fillet with 1 teaspoon of lemon juice, and brush with the melted butter. Season with salt & pepper.
- Transfer the dishes to the oven and roast until the salmon is just cooked through, and the spinach is bubbling, about 20 minutes. remove from the oven and let stand for about 5 minutes.
- To serve, cut each salmon into 6 pieces, spoon the spinach onto plates, top with the salmon and garnish with lemon slices.