Another week, another challenge… My friend Jeff, the butcher/fellow food enthusiast got in a new line of spice mix grinders at his store. However, the So!Go company website is really lacking in terms of any recipes or direction on what to do with their product. I grabbed a bottle of the Greek spice mix to give it a try.
The recipe below is kind of a Greek hybrid recipe, combining a couple of different ideas.
Overall, I’m pretty pleased with the way the spice mix gave the dish an authentic Greek taste & I’d be tempted to try some of their other mixes.
Greek Kebab Wraps featuring So!Go Greek Spice Mix
1 cup minced onion
2 clove garlic, minced
1 pound ground beef or lamb
1 teaspoon So!Go Greek Spice Mix
1/2 cup cucumber, diced
1/4 cup non-fat yogurt (non-dairy, optional)
1 tablespoon fresh spearmint, chopped OR 1/2 teaspoon dried mint leaves
4 greek pitas
1 cup shredded lettuce
1 cup diced tomato
1 tablespoon vegetable oil for cooking
- Preheat oven broiler.
- Heat oil in a skillet over Medium-High heat. Add the onion and garlic, and cook until softened, about 2 minutes.
- In a mixing bowl combine meat, grilled onions & garlic, spices, and mix thoroughly. Shape into 4 patties.
- Place patties on broiling pan and place on middle rack of oven. Broil until desired doneness, turning once, about 3 to 5 minutes on each side.
- Combine cucumber, yogurt and spearmint in small bowl and mix.
- To serve, spread topping on pita bread, then top with lettuce and tomato, and sliced kebab patties. Wrap with wax paper and enjoy!
* for those of you in Toronto you can find So!Go Spice Grinders at Hartman’s Fine Foods(5988 Bathurst Street)