Being Chanukah and all, I thought I’d opt for a twist on the traditional latke. These hybrid sweet potato latkes topped with some super charged sour cream make for a great combo.
If cilantro’s not your thing, try mixing it up with another fresh herb you may prefer.
Sweet Potato Latkes with Chili-Cilantro Sour Cream
Serves: 4 to 6
1/2 medium yellow onion
1/2 pound Yukon gold potato, about 1 large, peeled
1/2 pound sweet potato, about 1 medium, peeled
2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon kosher salt
1 large egg, lightly beaten
1 cup Chili-Cilantro Sour Cream (recipe below)
- Grate the onion into a large bowl. Grate both potatoes into the same bowl, grating down the length of the potato to get long strands. Toss the potatoes with the onions as you work to keep them from discoloring.
- Put potato mixture in a clean dish towel and wring out excess liquid. Toss the latke mixture with the flour, salt, and cayenne. Stir in the egg.
- Heat a 1/4-inch oil in a large skillet over medium to medium-high heat. Working in batches, spoon about 1/4 cup of the latke mixture into the skillet, pressing lightly to form latkes. Take care not to overcrowd the pan. Cook, turning once, until just golden, about 2 minutes per side.
- Serve the latkes topped with a small dollop of Chili-Cilantro Sour Cream.
Chili-Cilantro Sour Cream:
1 cup sour cream
1 tablespoon freshly squeezed lime juice
2 teaspoons sweet chili sauce
1 small garlic clove, minced
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
1 1/2 tablespoons chopped cilantro
- Combine all the ingredients except the cilantro in a medium bowl and whisk together. Stir in cilantro.