I recently had the opportunity to join the wonderful Rose Resiman as she introduced the Pickle Barrel‘s new gluten free menu that they will be rolling out at their restaurants this year. Launching initially at their Yonge and Eglinton location the menu focuses on luscious and fresh ingredients to make really delicious gluten-free dishes. Many restaurants will opt to throw a salad up on their menu and declare themselves gluten-free friendly. The Pickle Barrel challenged Rose to come up with a unique menu that did not use the gluten-free label as an excuse to deliver anything other than nutritious and delicious options to their diners. Boy did she deliver – I think you’ll all really love it.
Pickle Barrel’s new Gluten Free menu includes Pecan and Parmesan Crusted Chicken, Mediterranean Rotini, Grilled Cheese, Pulled Pork, Enchiladas and this delicious recipe for Pistachio Crusted Basa. Enjoy!
Pistachio Crusted Basa Fillet
4 basa fish fillets
2 large eggs
4 tablespoons milk
1/4 cup finely grated Parmesan cheese
1/4 cup toasted crushed pistachio nuts
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 teaspoon lemon juice
1/2 teaspoon honey
1/2 teaspoon garlic
1/2 teaspoon jalapeno, finely diced
Salt and pepper, to taste
1 cup diced orange segments
1/2 cup tear drop tomatoes (grilled)
1/4 cup diced green onion
3 cups Arugula
- In a bowl create an egg wash by whisking eggs and then whisking in the milk.
- In a small bowl combine the cheese and crushed nuts. Dip basa fish in egg wash then in nut and cheese mixture to coat.
- Preheat the oven to 425 degrees F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Brush the paper with oil. Bake fish for 8 minutes, and then turn each piece over. Bake 4 minutes more, or until cooked through.
- While fish is baking, prepare salad dressing by whisking olive oil, lemon juice, honey, garlic, and jalapeno together. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Toss remaining ingredients with the dressing and then plate, topping each serving of salad with a piece of basa.
* – recipe and photo courtesy of The Pickle Barrel